Tuesday, January 11, 2005


Top Left:yarn for Rick's gloves
Top Right and Bottom Left:yarn for Cassa's gloves
Middle Right:wip-Cassa's glove cuff on three dpns
Bottom Right:cable needles for this projectPosted by Hello

I bought the book Stitch 'n Bitch Nation by Debbie Stroller yesterday at my lys (or local yarn store) Sealed with a Kiss. I think that this is a somewhat interesting pattern book as it is a spin-off from Ms. Stroller's first book Stitch 'n Bitch. To know why this is interesting, you must know what a 'stitch 'n bitch' is. I s'nb is a group of people who get together at some venue or another to kip (or knit in public). This can be a great bonding experience for older knitters and an awesome learning experience for people newer to knitting. After Ms. Stroller released her first book (I believe it was last year) about this topic, which had about 20 patterns and all sorts of handy information in the front of the book so far as how-to's, she had an outpouring of mail from all sorts of communities that had formed their own s'nbs. A lot of people were sending in patterns that their s'nbs or someone in their s'nbs had come up with, and so the second book, Stitch 'n Bitch Nation was born.

I. love. This. BOOK!

It is an awesome pattern book and I strongly recommend both of these books to anyone who is considering learning how to knit. I've made a number of the items from the first book, and with the book I bought yesterday I bought some Noro Kureyon in colors 40 and 51 to make Rick and I both a pair of open-fingered gloves from a pattern in the book. The yarn is shown in the picture.

About the yarn-this is absolutely GORGEOUS yarn! The color that I bought for me (40) has these bright jewel-tones that leave me just salivating while knitting. The color that we got for Rick has very dark, earthy tones to it. He picked it out himself and I am 100% sure that he will love how they turn out.

We didn't even go to SWAK for any of this-we went to get another skein of the green Pastaza from Cascade that I'm making that leaf scarf out of! ...There went my yarn budget for the month.

I'm never going to get rid of this yarn stash.

Also, I read something funny in one of the s'nb group profiles in S'nBN. This is a wise and old saying: The only old needles that are safe to share are knitting needles!


No comments: