Sunday, January 23, 2005

ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Ha! So I have a lead on a yarn store that I believe is right around the corner from where I work. It is called the GourmetYarnCo. I must visit it this week. I simply must.

In other news, I bought some LOVELY alpaca/wool blend yarn from Luffs in Norman. It's from Blue Sky Alpaca, in bulky. I bought some black and grey...and started work on a bag that I'm going to felt for my headsets for work. I wanted to make the bag with a skull and crossbones design on the front. So I graphed it out and started work on it-I've finished the design part of the bag and also most of the bag…

Now a brief interlude to tell you begin the side story that has currently enraged me in regards to TWO, yes TWO of my favorite yarn stores:

When I was at Luffs, I asked one of the people there if it would be okay if I dropped by to ask for help from Katy (sp?), the owner, on the arm-warmers/open-fingered gloves that I am working on. I’ve run into a kink and the cabling isn’t working properly pretty much because I have no idea what I’m doing. ‘Sure’, the lady who was there that day said, ‘She’ll be here all day on Friday’. Yay! So I’m going to Luffs on Friday!

…However, I ran out of yarn, and had to run back down to Luffs to get more. I went on Friday afternoon at around 4ish…to find a darkened store, and a note on the door from Fed-Ex proclaiming that they were sorry that they missed them at 3. Ugh. There were no signs that I could see from peeking in the store that anybody had been there that day.

Fine, I think to myself, I’ll call up SWAK and see if someone up there can at least help me with my project problem. I get someone on the phone who really didn’t seem to know what she was doing, and she puts me on hold and someone else picks up. This person was not willing to help me in the least. I was willing to pay double the going rate for help, but they can’t fit me in for another month. ‘What’s your problem’, the lady I’m speaking to asks, to which I reply, ‘I just have a problem with a skill-I don’t think I’m doing something right with this cabling’. To this she replies, ‘Yep, it’d definitely be about a month before someone could be here after 4 for you’. UGH!

So, frustrated, I call up a shop in Tulsa that carries the yarn that I was looking for at Luffs, and I am currently attempting to find help with the cabling online. Maybe I can find someone who can help me at GourmetYarnCo. If I can-they have my business forever.




Headset bag #2 Posted by Hello


Headset #1 Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Kelly and Pixie said...

I love the skull headset bag. Do you have a pattern? What style knitting did you use?
Kelly jamymad@comcast.net

http://knittingandthings.blogspot.com

kaoticorchid said...

Hey, thanks! I don't really have a pattern, this is roughly what I did:

I graphed out what the skull should look like on graph paper ahead of time.

Cast on 21 stitches and work in stockinette stitch as per graph.

When you reach the point that the graph calls for color, you would just lay the new color yarn over the needles that you had inserted for the next stitch, and instead of the previous color of yarn, you knit up the new color.

I'm going to continue working until the back matches the size that I want the front to be, I'll probably knit a couple more rows to make a flap with button-holes and I'll seam up the edges. Sew on your buttons and voila!...or at least, that's the plan. I'm also thinking about felting this, so we'll see how that turns out.

If that didn't make any sense at all (and I'm fairly certain that it didn't), I used a technique called fair isle to create the picture. It's the first time that I've used fair isle in a project, but I thought it was fairly simple. So if it seems a little rough at first-keep on truckin! It does get easier, I promise. If you need any help I have my profile updated to show my email addy.

Again, thanks for the compliment, and also for visiting my blog!